The purpose of the Patient Access Liaison- Southern Territory (Remote) is to be the patient facing expert on the rare/orphan/RPE65 patient journey. The incumbent is responsible for engaging and identifying key stakeholders on next steps to support appropriate patients accessing therapy.
- Work closely with the internal case management team, zone leadership, zone team and managed markets payer leads.
- Key logistical activities will include touch points with Treatment Centers, patients, market access and Spark’s distribution partners to support the patients’ needs for treatment.
- Gets to the root of any logistical issues impacting treatment initiation of therapy and access to the appropriate Treatment Centers.
- Coordinates all internal logistical and reimbursement efforts
- Understands the drug ordering and delivery process.
- Employs sound business problem solving techniques and works across the zone or in the patient journey to alleviate any challenges. In depth understanding of the prescribing account, authorizations, the administration site of care and the payer approval process at the patient level.
- Provide patient education and support site of care logistics, patient facing reimbursement education, financial support services education as well as provide emotional support for the patient and their caregivers prior to and during treatment.
- Interact appropriately with physicians, nurses, pharmacists, ancillary staff, patients/families, referring physicians and advocacy groups to prevent and address barriers to patient access.
50% Patient Support
- Works closely with patients/families to work through the steps required to gain access to therapy once a treatment decision has been made (disease and product education, site of care logistics, understanding of payer policy and procedure, and other support services).
- Provides dedicated support for the patient and caregivers in collaboration with them regarding travel, coverage, and treatment.
- Completes a comprehensive assessment of the individual needs of the patient regarding travel, reimbursement, and treatment logistics, considering the patient’s family and team of healthcare providers.
- This assessment will include understanding the individual’s payer policies, plan designs, including Medicare/ Medicaid coverage if applicable, as well as the healthcare system (TC) local to the patient.
- Develop and offer solutions to the family, when necessary, that may also include communication of alternative insurance options and other financial assistance.
- Educates patients, families, and caregivers on product and all Spark services.
25% Treatment Center Readiness
- Confirms patient pathway for logistics at Treatment Centers, including understanding Treatment Center evaluation and process to better counsel patients.
- Serves as the first level of support for reimbursement and coverage inquiries.
- Works cross functionally to identify and support the resolution of patient access barriers including insurance coverage, reimbursement, financial limitations.
25% Zone Planning & Problem Solving
- Behaves in accordance with Spark’s values and behaviors in how the PAL does their job.
- Works as the patient advocate in regular cross functional meetings with Patient Advocacy, Account Executive, Market Access & Reimbursement to understand treatment process for patients.
- Works with Managed Market team members who will assess reimbursement, engage with payers, and support proper access.
- Be knowledgeable of any changes in the patient access environment to identify issues that may impact access and communicate information appropriately to patients/caregivers and internal stakeholders.
- Biotechnology professional with an extensive experience and comprehensive understanding of field / patient reimbursement, charitable funding, non-profit organizations
- Cross functional excellence and Influencing others
- Experience dedicated to assisting patients/caregivers
- Must be familiar with relevant legal and regulatory environment in biotech industry
- Strong communication and listening skills
- Strong EQ skills
- BS required, MBA Preferred
- Minimum of 7+ years total business experience in the healthcare or biotech industry with at least 5+ years field based experience in field based patient support (required), account management, or field reimbursement.
- A successful track record in field reimbursement, case management, clinical education or in pharmaceutical sales/management of products that required significant payer and reimbursement involvement.
- Experience in supporting rare biologic therapy administered by a designated health care provider
- Institutional experience including managing pharmacy protocols, 340B pricing, and internal logistics of a hospital setting.
WHO WE ARE:
Transforming Patient’s Lives. Spark Therapeutics is a pioneering gene therapy leader transforming the lives of patients suffering from debilitating genetic diseases by developing one-time, life-altering treatments. We are embarking on our goal to deliver the first approved gene therapy product in the US for genetic blinding conditions and have a product pipeline addressing other unmet rare genetic diseases. We have an entrepreneurial culture and are looking for talented and passionate professionals who are committed and motivated to making a difference in the lives of our patients. If you share our passion for excellence and are looking for a dynamic work environment that fosters creativity, scientific innovation and team collaboration, you may be a great fit for our team.