The Ocular Pre-Clinical Research Lead will manage the Ocular functional group within the Research department. S/he will be responsible for:
• Providing leadership within a group of 2 to 3 scientists/research associates, to develop pre-clinical programs from early discovery to the clinic.
• Initiate and oversee joint programs with academic collaborators.
• Establishing project timelines and ensuring work is completed according to schedule.
• Training and developing staff at varying levels of experience.
The Ocular Pre-Clinical Research Lead position requires extensive translational experience with ocular gene therapies, including:
• In-depth knowledge of inherited retinal disorders is required.
• Experience with animal models of inherited retinal disorders and use of AAV gene therapy to treat these disorders is required.
• Experience with functional and structural endpoint measurements, such as ERG, optokinetic analysis, imaging, etc.
• Experience with intraocular delivery techniques
• Familiarity with target validation and lead identification/optimization, using a combination of molecular, cellular and in vitro/in vivo techniques for ophthalmic gene therapy.
• Some knowledge of clinical trial design and regulatory strategy is preferred.
- Hands-on execution of experiments on the bench
- Identify and validate new indication targets. Design and trouble-shoot experiments based on personal experience and literature review. Prepare and deliver scientific presentations at internal and external meetings
- Prioritize projects, plan workload, manage resource and personnel scheduling
- Preparing sample analysis reports and write parts of regulatory submissions to FDA
- Lead a team of scientists. Mentor and develop staff.
• Identify and validate new indication targets. Design and trouble-shoot experiments based on personal experience and literature review. Prepare and deliver scientific presentations at internal and external meetings
• Prioritize projects, plan workload, manage resource and personnel scheduling
• Preparing sample analysis reports and write parts of regulatory submissions to FDA
• Lead a team of scientists. Mentor and develop staff.
• Ensure departmental goals and objectives are met and aligned to the broader organizational goals and objectives.
• Extensive hands-on experience in ocular gene therapy, such as intravitreal and subretinal injections, and measurement of ophthalmic efficacy and safety endpoints
• Strong organizational skills.
• Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
• Previous management experience preferred, but not required.
• Strong publication record is a plus.
• Experience with AAV vectors is a plus.
• Demonstrate independent problem solving skills of technical issues; develop solutions to a variety of moderate to complex problems; Discuss with supervisor and refer to policies/practices for guidance.
• Must be comfortable in the fast-paced, biotech start-up environment and interact with multi-disciplinary research teams at Spark
• Exercise judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
• Quality Assurance, Clinical Operations, Pharm/Tox, Discovery, Assay Development, R&D Operations, Technical Operations, Regulatory Affairs, Executive Team.
• Ph.D. in relevant scientific discipline (e.g. cell and molecular biology, biochemistry, etc.)
• Minimum 5-8 years of hands-on experience in the field of ophthalmic gene therapy
• Previous management or supervisory experience strongly preferred
WHO WE ARE:
Transforming Patient’s Lives. Spark Therapeutics is a pioneering gene therapy leader transforming the lives of patients suffering from debilitating genetic diseases by developing one-time, life-altering treatments. We are embarking on our goal to deliver the first approved gene therapy product in the US for genetic blinding conditions and have a product pipeline addressing other unmet rare genetic diseases. We have an entrepreneurial culture and are looking for talented and passionate professionals who are committed and motivated to making a difference in the lives of our patients. If you share our passion for excellence and are looking for a dynamic work environment that fosters creativity, scientific innovation and team collaboration, you may be a great fit for our team.